The Eight Limbs of Yoga Series - 2. NIYAMA
Time & Location
About The Event
In Patanjali's Yoga Sutra, the eightfold path is called Ashtanga, which literally means "eight limbs".
Laur Bee and Sri Vijay Anand will guide you through eight sessions where you can delve deeper into yogic philosophy and learn how to incorporate Patanjali's teachings into our modern lives.
Session 2. NIYAMA
The inner observances.
The second limb is about self-discipline and spiritual observances. Niyama, usually refers to duties directed towards ourselves, and are intended to build character. Interestingly, the Niyamas closely relate to the Koshas, our ‘sheaths’ or ‘layers’ leading from the physical body to the essence within. When we work with the Niyamas – from Saucha to Isvararpranidhana - we are guided from the grossest aspects of ourselves to the truth deep within.
The fine NIYAMAS are:
1. Saucha: cleanliness (in our mind and thoughts as well body)
2. Samtosa: contentment (acceptance and peaceful with life)
3. Tapas: heat; spiritual austerities (real self discipline)
4. Svadhyaya: study of the scriptures and of one’s self
5. Īśvara praṇidhāna: surrender to something greater than us
During the two hour workshop there will be a 45 minute asana (posture) practice based around the NIYAMAS and throughout the session we will discuss what Patanjali meant by the five NIYAMAS and how we can use these practices in our modern lives.
*There will be eight sessions on each of the Eight Limbs, please feel free to join any that attract you, and a discount is offered when booking all eight.
- Eight Limbs of Yoga Workshop 2£15£150£0
- Full EightLimbs of Yoga Series£80£800£0